BESC 484— FIELD STUDIES
- It exposes students to a professional experience or research laboratory related to Bioenvironmental Sciences. Students can work with a company, government agency (local, state, national, international), or on a science-based project with a faculty member in a research lab. All experiences are subject to departmental approval.
- BESC 484 is a REQUIRED course for the BESC/ENST/USAL-ENB degree plans. It must be completed in order to graduate.
- BESC 484 aligns with a supervised INTERNSHIP or RESEARCH The 484 course is writing-intensive, 3 credit hours, and taken over a full academic term (fall, spring, or 10-week summer).
- Students applying for the 484 course must have a junior or senior classification, or instructor approval.
STEP 1 | Students identify an internship or research opportunity
- Examples from previous students
- Speakers from NAEP meetings
- Facebook pages for TAMU, BESC, and NAEP
- TAMU Career Center, and Jobs for Aggies
STEP 2 | Students apply for BESC 484 approval
- For the semester associated with the internship or research experience
- Visit the department website to fill out the BESC 484 Approval Form
- Applications are due two (2) weeks before the start of the semester
- Review is done by BESC 484 approval committee
STEP 3 | Students watch their official TAMU email for course instructions
- One to two weeks before the academic term begins, the academic advisor will register students with approved experiences into appropriate sections for BESC 484 and assign faculty
- Once approved and registered, students must pay required tuition/fees for the course.
- Students are instructed to contact their assigned faculty members for course syllabus, outline course expectations, and due dates.
STEP 4 | Students engage in the BESC 484 course
- Communicate 484 expectations to supervisor, and complete work as assigned by instructor
- All 484 assignments will be submitted electronically— there is no physical class. Use of e-mail or eCampus is currently at the discretion of assigned faculty members.